Friday, August 24, 2012

Thailand - Part 4: Chiang Mai

The next morning was yet another early day; the four of us had to pack our bags, check out of the hotel, and get aboard the bus to take us to our first tour destination. The transportation was not exactly what I in mind - somehow, I thought there would be a cushy small tour van that would take us to place to place, but instead, we find ourselves in the back of a truck-like taxi vehicle, where we sat on benches along with 6 other people. I didn't mind it though (until one of the benches broke down...but we'll get to that later) :P

Our first stop was a butterfly/orchid farm. In my opinion, it was kind of disappointing. The orchids were indeed pretty and fragrant, but I didn't really know enough about orchids to tell the difference between this one and the other :S. The butterfly farm appeared to have only 1 butterfly. To our horror, the facility used heavy metal chains in the doorway to brutally stop (and kill) any butterfly that attempts to fly though through the "door". It really wasn't very pleasant stepping through the killer metal chains.


Jordan sniffing the orchids.

Another type of orchids

Jean and I posing with the beautiful flowers!

A nice lady took a picture for the two of us

Some of the tourists were more enthralled with the cat


Our next stop was definitely more interesting – we were taken to visit a village that housed a tribe named Karen Paduang Hill tribe. They were also called the “Long Neck Tribe” because the women wore rings of metal around their necks. This is one of tradition of many of the Karen tribes of ‘beautifying the women’. The rings are made of brass, and are displayed around the neck, arms and legs as signs of feminine beauty status. Apparently, this tradition starts on a girl when she is about 5 to 6 years old, and the rings reach from the clavicle to beneath the chin. As the neck ‘grows’ longer, more and more rings are added – the more rings the better. This was really interesting to see, and to learn about the tradition, although I still cringe at the thought of what these rings are doing to the women’s bodies. The village had many women selling souvenirs, many of which were handmade by the people living there. The girls and I each bought a few trinkets, which I hope helps the villagers, since selling these souvenirs appeared to be their only source of income. Thankfully, it seems as if the village does get many tourists – as we were leaving, a large group of older ladies and gents trekked their way up the path.
The rings the ladies wear around their necks.

One of the beautiful woman

Jordan on the village path

Jordan with kids in the background!

The kids playing 'catch the dragonflies' game

We returned to our vehicle, and set off to our next destination - to see the elephants! We were all pretty excited for this part, since we have heard that the elephants were a must-see in Thailand. The first elephant we saw as we arrived at the camp was a baby elephant. The Mama elephant stood closely by, while everyone crooned and aww-ed at the cute little thing, who lifted its trunk at each of us, looking for food. Bananas were purchased at a nearby stand, and we all took turns stripping the banana of its skin and feeding the inside to the happy elephant.


We love this baby elephant!

Feeding it bananas. How can you resist??

Our next task was to actually ride the elephants. Most of the elephants had a bamboo and wooden seat strapped to its back for its passengers, and after struggling to get atop of it, Jordan and I found ourselves many feet from the ground, atop a majestic elephant. We named our elephant Banana Tuk-tuk; she definitely loved her bananas! Her trunk was curled up towards us every few steps she took, to ensure that we know she's working hard for her treats. It was a bit hard to coordinate the constant feeding, while holding on to the edge of the seat to ensure I don't fall off! The ride itself was pretty rocky; it was definitely different from riding a horse, as the elephants strides were much larger, and its weight distributed more heavily on each side. We got used to it however, and had a nice time enjoying the scenery and feeding our elephant bananas every few seconds.


Meeting the mama elephant

Jean and Grace atop their elephant!

The beautiful, majestic creature

She loves sugar cane!

Jean is in love.

Saying goodbyes to the elephant

After about an hour ride, we dismounted our elephants and set off for our next destination - river rafting! We first learned some basics of rafting, such as the commands we need to obey, and how to paddle and stroke. The crew that taught us had a odd sense of humor - one fellow named himself Jack Sparrow, so we in turn, named our own captain Will Turner. We were split into 2 groups, and Jack and Will led us to our boats, and we set off on the river!

I must say, after going white water river rafting in Hope, B.C., this summer, I would consider this one I did in Thailand quite tame. However, I did end up falling into the water in Thailand, after hitting a particular nasty wave. It was actually quite frightening when I was in the water, since I could feel the many rocks protruding from underneath me, and I know I would be epically screwed if I hit my leg or torso one of them. My team was on it though - my friend Grace pulled me out of the water and in no time, I was safe and sound aboard the raft, ready to ride the waves again!


A photograph we bought from the photographer that followed us around!

Our last and final stop was probably my favorite - a trek through the forest to see the waterfall. As much as we would've liked to take hours hiking through the beautiful forest and nature and see the waterfall, our group had to be back at the hotel at a certain time to catch our next bus. So we had to rush our way through. If I recall correctly, the hike was supposed to take about 2.5 hours - I believe we did it around 1.5 hours. I had to give props to our friend Jean, who did the hike in flip flops and was still faster than Jordan and I! Anyways, the scenery was so beautiful - the trees provided shade as we climbed on dirt, grassy paths and rocks, while admiring the different, vast types of trees and straw houses. We came across a few streams and small bridges, and eventually came to the final destination - a beautiful, soothing, rushing waterfall.


A photo with elephant butts!

Our crew eating some lunch - pad thai wrapped in banana leaf!

What we do to keep our valuables dry.

One our way to the waterfall.

Some huts along the way.

Feeling the cool water in our hands. (Note Jean's flip flops!!)

Jean, Jordan and I, amongst other tourists, took a few moments sitting there, admiring the gravitational rush of the body of water in front of us. We dipped our feet into the water; I really wanted to go swimming underneath it, but we were definitely short on time. (I'll do it at the next waterfall I visit! :P) After taking a couple more pictures, we set back on the same path, towards our vehicle and waiting friends.


The beautiful waterfall

Jordan's artistic photo!

On our way back - a photo with the lush green landscape.

Soon enough we were back in Chiang Mai. We had a bit of time to kill before our bus to Bangkok arrived, so the 4 of us set off to find the festival that apparently was taking place that weekend. We didn't have to go far; a couple blocks later, we were surrounded by live Thai music, and many many food and souvenir vendors. To this day, I am still not quite sure what the festival was for - all I know that it is for a member of the well respected Thai Royal Family. The four of us spent the next hour or so walking around, and trying many of the different foods. My favorite was the Thai Milk Tea - I think it might be the best milk tea I have tasted. Yes, I said it - better than Taiwanese milk tea! I was just the mixture of the spices that was added...oh my gosh, it was so good! Although there were no pearls :P We also enjoyed other food such as deep fried shrimp balls, pad thai and more.


Mmm street food!

We made our way to our hotel eventually, and was picked up by the tourist company to transport us to the bus station. The trip to Bangkok was an overnight trip, and although the bus was quite noisy with loud talkers and slightly drunk people, I managed to sneak a few hours of sleep in. We had to re-energy for our next adventure - our half day in Bangkok, and a trip to our beach getaway - Koh Samed!


After a long overnight trip, we were in Bangkok once more!

In front of the Grand Palace sign

Keep tuned for more blog posts!

1 comment: