Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Tainan Night Streets: Shennong 神農街

There are some absolutely beautiful night walks to take in Taiwan's oldest City, Tainan. 臺南市(Tainan). There are several old, cobblestone streets, which serve as a reminder to this city's important place in Taiwan's history.

One of these ancient streets is Shennong Street (神農街), is considered one of the best preserved old streets in Tainan, and is something I knew I had to visit ever since I read the following blog post and saw the following Flickr Photo.

Once we got back into Tainan from our day trip to Kaohsiung, I knew I wanted to head out for a night walk, so that I could find this mythical street.

Here is what I found on our walk!

There are some beautiful, old buildings that seem to have stood the test of time in Tainan


I can't tell if it's graffiti or an art display. Regardless it is amazingly calming and the night is silent.

This eerie corner marks the entrance to Shennong street. 

Shennong Street 神農街 itself. Without the motorbikes, I'd have trouble guessing what century I was in.

Seeing Shennong street was almost exactly as I imagined it. Walking down the street, quiet, and dark, is like walking through a silent film. Candles and lights flicker. I swear someone must be watching us but I am not troubled - just reminded that people dwell here and that they deserve respect. We wander in awe for a few minutes, take a few photos, and then depart, leaving this old street and its residents to their peaceful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment