Thursday, March 8, 2012

Rare commodity

It seems that foam ear plugs are a rare commodity in Hong Kong. My supply of ear plugs for sleeping are running out, and I first thought that I could simply get some at our Park n Shop convenience store on campus, or at a Watson's (similar to London Drugs and Shoppers') here. But nope - at a majority of the places I have been to, they only sell silicon ear plugs. I suppose those would work, but none of the packaging says how many decibels it blocks out, and I'd like to know that before I spent $5 CAD on a pair of ear plugs. So if anyone knows a place that sells regular foam ear plugs for a decent, expected price, please let me know...:P

3 comments:

  1. It has been 4 months since your post. I'm curious, have you found them and where did you find them? I desperately need them. Haven't slept well in a week =(
    please share

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    I am sorry, but I don't remember the exact place we went to. I just remember that it was a small, drugstore type of place, perhaps in the busy streets on Mongkok or such. We were just wandering, and saw that the store sold toiletries, some medicine, and decided to go in and ask. It wasn't too cheap though - 24 HKD for the 1 pair. At least they were decent.
    One tip - it took the store workers a while to understand that we were asking for earplugs. Jordan tried to explain in Canto, but it didn't get through to them, while I tried in Mandarin. I think in the end we ended up gesturing to our ears.
    Another thing - I ended up asking my roommate, who took a weekend trip to Taiwan, to purchase some for me at Watson's. Foam earplugs, unlike Hong Kong, are not rare there. I think cost was 3 pairs for about 25 HKD.
    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summary of tips (I just realized I actually didn't provide many tips in the previous post...)
    - ask stores on the streets that look like they sell toiletries and household items. I didn't have any luck with big chain stores, such as Watson's, so I started to ask smaller stores.
    - be prepared to gesture to show what you want if you don't speak Canto
    - ask a friend who is going to Taiwan.
    Cheers! Hope your sleep will improve soon.

    ReplyDelete